AAA is releasing its new Used EV Buyer's Guide that includes basic information on electric vehicles (EVs) including ownership costs, details to consider before purchasing and guidance for those who want an EV but need more affordable options. A recent AAA survey revealed that of consumers interested in EVs, 25% would purchase used, with Millennials (32%) the most likely to consider this option. AAA wants consumers interested in going electric, whether new or used, to be informed and educated on EV ownership before purchase to ensure a rewarding and confident experience.
"Used EV’s tend to be more affordable, making them a feasible option for many first-time buyers or multi-car households," said Mike Hoshaw, vice president of automotive services, AAA East Central. "Because electric vehicles are gaining popularity, it’s important that we give consumers the resources and research they need to make an informed purchase.”
What the Guide Offers – "A Pre-Shopping Checklist"
- Basic background of EVs
- Driving range and charging
- Used EV ownership cost comparisons (battery versus gas-powered)
- Repair and maintenance costs
- Supplemental AAA Car Buying Resources
Many consumers are attracted to the idea of going electric, but they are worried they will face a steep price tag for a new EV. A used EV may be a more feasible option for buyers concerned about cost or those looking to add a second car to their household. In addition to the newly released guide, AAA has other resources to help buyers navigate the car-buying decision. The 2022 AAA Your Driving Cost analysis revealed that EVs have the second lowest annual ownership costs behind small sedans. Additionally, used EVs are estimated to cost less to own than their gas-powered counterparts. EV owners save $8,000 or more on fuel costs over a five-year period.
The AAA Used EV Buyer's Guide is available at aaa.com/usedevbuyersguide. AAA also supports its EV members with exclusive perks and benefits such as:
- TripTik Travel Planner provides public-charging information along any route
- AAA TourBook® Guides include hotels which offer public charging for guests
- Cashback rewards for public EV charging on AAA-branded credit cards (visit a participating AAA branch office to learn more)
- Mobile EV battery charging is available in 15 cities.
Before embarking on any car-buying journey, AAA encourages consumers to do their homework and check out the AAA Used EV Buyer's Guide such as these resources:
- Your Driving Cost Online Calculator helps consumers determine important comparison costs before purchase. Select the desired state, annual mileage, driving ratio representing your typical driving habits and vehicle year/make/model & trim.
- AAA Car Guide provides consumers with reviews and ratings of select vehicles with the most recent automotive technology, many of which are EVs. The Automobile Club of Southern California's Automotive Research Center (ARC) tests and reviews vehicles annually
To help educate the public, AAA conducts ongoing research on EVs, including consumer-sentiment surveys, testing to determine factors impacting electric vehicle range, the true cost of electric vehicle ownership and a survey on consumers' experience with going electric.
AAA East Central is a not-for-profit association, with 70 local offices in Kentucky, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia serving 2.7 million members. News releases are available at news.eastcentral.aaa.com. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.