Trying to avoid getting caught in traffic, paying the most expensive gas prices, and breaking down on the side of the road this upcoming weekend? Labor Day is the unofficial end of the summer, and AAA East Central is offering tips and suggestions to help travelers wrap up what has been a very busy summer on the road!
“For a lot of people, this will be the last weekend to get out and enjoy a few summer evenings,” said Herman Jenkins, AAA East Central Director of Public Affairs. “We at AAA want to ensure that the weekend is safe, fun, and relaxing for everybody heading out this weekend.”
AAA East Central Tips for Labor Day Road Trips:
- Download the free AAA Mobile app for iPhone, iPad and Android. In light of increased demand and refinery outages from Tropical Storm Harvey, travelers are encouraged to download the app to help find the lowest gas prices near them. The app can also be used to map a route, access exclusive member discounts, find AAA Diamond Rated hotels and restaurants, request AAA roadside assistance and more.
- Plan for crowded highways. Remember to pack your patience and allow plenty of extra time to get to your destination safely.
- Try to avoid traveling through major cities during peak travel times. The best times to leave will be in the early mornings because the roads should be less crowded, and you will have more time to get to your destination safely.
- Take your vehicle to a trusted repair facility to perform any needed maintenance. Oil changes, fluid level checks, battery tests and tire inspections go a long way toward reducing the chances of a breakdown.
- Get plenty of rest before setting out on a holiday road trip. Also plan on taking breaks every two hours or 100 miles to remain alert and avoid driving drowsy. Drivers should designate a passenger to serve as their official text messenger and navigator to avoid distracted driving.
AAA East Central is a not-for-profit association with 81 local offices in Kentucky, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia serving 2.7 million members. Past news releases are available at news.eastcentral.aaa.com. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
For More Information, Contact:
Jim Garrity, Public & Community Relations Manager
Desk: 412-365-7274 / Cell: 412-905-9021 / Email: Garrity.James@aaaec.com