According to a recent AAA Travel survey, two-thirds of leisure travelers (64 percent) plan to take vacations this summer. Many of those vacationers will head to historical European cities or soak up the sun in Orlando’s theme parks and attractions, according to an analysis of AAA’s national travel booking data.
“Americans work so hard throughout the year that they need their summer vacation to relax and re-energize,” says Bevi Powell, senior vice president of AAA East Central. “Travel agents make the process seamless for travelers, saving them countless hours of research and accessing exclusive benefits and savings,” she added.
Top Summer Travel Destinations
These are the top summer travel destinations, based on national AAA Travel bookings for trips June 1 through August 15, 2019:
- Orlando, Florida (1)
- London, England (5)
- Rome, Italy (2)
- Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (3)
- Dublin, Ireland (4)
- Paris, France (7)
- Seattle, Washington (9)
- Anchorage, Alaska (8)
- Honolulu, Hawaii (6)
- Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (12)
*Number in parentheses indicates summer 2018 ranking.
Top trends for summer travel this year include:
- Orlando, Florida, once again claims the top spot as the most-visited summer travel destination. The city’s world-famous theme parks are a top draw for families, as Universal Orlando Resort and Walt Disney World prepare to unveil new attractions this summer.
- Europe is a bucket list destination for many Americans, and this summer is no exception. London has grown in popularity compared with last year, while Rome, Dublin and Paris continue to be hot spots for top summer travel destinations.
- Alaskan cruises are a top vacation choice for summer travelers this year, with Vancouver, Seattle and Anchorage topping the list of embarkation ports for these coveted sailings.
- After the harsh winter, many Americans will flock to warm-weather destinations, particularly those in Hawaii and the Caribbean. Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, has once again cracked the top 10 after briefly dipping off last year’s list.
Be Road Trip Ready
While many travelers will tour Europe, take cruises, visit theme parks and soak up the sun in Hawaii or the Caribbean, road trips remain a top choice for many families this summer. AAA expects to be called on to rescue nearly 8 million Americans at the roadside nationwide this summer season, with the top reasons being flat tires, lockouts and dead batteries. AAA Automotive experts recommend these car care tips to prepare your vehicle for a summer road trip:
- Tires – Make sure to inflate tires to the recommended pressure listed in the owner’s manual or on the driver-side doorjamb. To check tread wear, insert a quarter upside down; if the top of George Washington’s head is visible at any point, it’s time to start shopping for new tires.
- Brakes – Inspect the brake system for fluid leaks, and check all components for wear at every oil change and whenever there are signs of a potential problem. Pay attention to any brake warning indicators on your car’s instrument panel, or any grinding or scraping noises when applying the brakes.
- Battery – Especially after three years, have your battery tested to determine remaining capacity. In many areas, AAA members can have a technician come to their home or work to perform a free battery test and install a new battery on site if needed.
- Fluids – Change the oil at the intervals specified by the vehicle manufacturer and use an oil that meets the vehicle’s factory specifications. Also, check the engine coolant and brake, transmission, and power steering fluids.
Regardless of destination, travelers can look to AAA for assistance planning and booking unforgettable vacations this summer. For more information, visit AAA.com/Travel.